April 01, 2006

pants, pants, pants



I need to make pants for all 3 kids (and myself - i wish!). I need to make trackpants, pj pants and i'd like to make some fancier pants with cargo pockets etc. I have lots of nice cord and denim to make them (and velour on the way).

Ryan and Emelia wear the same size, though hers need to be shorter atm. I started with a simplicity pattern and made size 3 - as that is what Ryan is starting to wear now - out of blue polar fleece. these are the blue pants in picture. they are HUMUNGOUS! they will fit him next winter, not a chance he can wear them this this winter! silly me put knee reinforcements on - AFTER sewing them up! aagh! i swear, my brain is just FUDGE.

then I decided to have a go at the kwiksew pattern (i want to make ottobre patterns, but not just yet til i'm a bit more confident). knowing from the tshirts that it was small, i made the size 3 (note - emelia is also wearing size 3 tops this winter, at 18 months, but size 2 pants are too long for her still). I changed the pattern to make them more of a straight leg style and cut them out of some homespun i got thru a babybear co-op. Apart from stuffing up the elastic (sewing it on the right instead of wrong side, having double stitched it on i was NOT undoing it LOL. luckily the pants are plenty long enough in the waist and I was able to turn it down twice to enclose it in a casing (i hate elastic against the skin). so this pattern was successful, though it could be a little wider for both children. next I want to have a go at giving it a slightly bootleg look...

my next project (which I've already started) is an outfit for a doll, for a 3 year old girl - Ryan has been invited to her birthday party. I'm using a Simplicity pattern my mum gave me, from 1975. it's sooo cute! I'm making a pinafore, bloomers and headscarf set, and if that doesn't take too long I may make a dress out of the purple homespun left from Emelia's pants.


sizes for my reference:
Ryan 40cm waist, 98cm tall, 34 mo
Emelia 43cm waist, 87cm tall, 19mo

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute pants, I need to make pants for my kids too.