March 25, 2006

I'm back!


Poor Miss Rory has no pants to wear! hehe Emelia was twice her size at birth, so never needed small sizes and for some reason I sold all ryan's smaller pants and jackets. I didn't want to buy any, so today I had a go at making some pants. Very difficult to find such a small size and I am not a pattern drafter but I managed to convert a pattern to sort of fit (not that I've actually tried these on Rory yet!)

They are Ottober 1/2006, pattern #3 for the baby trackpants. the smallest size was a 62, so I drafted a 56 and cut them out with no seam allowance. made them up as far as the waist elastic and tried them on Rory - WAY too big!! so I went back (luckily I'd bought a decent amount of stretch towelling from Alice!) and made more alterations. As premmies are generally quite long and skinny I folded 2cm out of the middle of the front and back pattern pieces. As the pants were quite long I cut the panels out and joined them, again all this was done with no seam allowance.

I had a hard time sewing the stretch towelling - I'm not used to stretch! (the colorado cotton is very low stretch). silly me didn't think to cut the top and bottom panels against the grain, as they were meant to be cut (i only decided to cut the pieces after cutting out the whole legs) so it was very very stretchy. I applied the elastic the ottobre way, which as usual looks great, but it more fiddly, especially with such a tiny waist!

Hopefully these will fit and I can make a couple more pairs - i will try to decorate the other pairs with some ribbing, ribbon, iron on designs etc etc

0 comments: